Monday, June 7, 2010

Weather Permitting

Since my arrival in New York, I believe I've yet to have a photo session run completely smooth. The weather here is less than ideal & extremely unpredictable. Saturday's Senior portrait session was the perfect example of such. I woke up bright and early to set up my studio for a few indoor shots and prepare my equipment. Unfortunately, I also woke up to sprinkles of rain on my bedroom window. I peered out to check the sky and was a bit disappointed when I discovered some heavy gray clouds looming above me. Of course, if the heavy rain held off, cloudy portraits can make for some amazing dramatic shots...so I crossed my fingers. In what seemed like only minutes before my client arrived, the clouds disappeared and the ominous sky was no more. Some would think I would be excited over such occurrence. However, a few days earlier we had to push her session back 3 hours, putting today's shoot at 2 o'clock, and now with a bright sunny sky to light the session. Not only did we have to limit the shoot to shady spots to avoid harsh shadows and squinty eyes, but the wind randomly arrived just in time as well. It seemed as though every time her hair was straightened just right & the lighting was perfected, a huge gust of wind would come through and practically blow us away. But, I am a glass half full kinda photographer. I got some really great candid shots of my senior bursting into laughter over the joke the weather seemed to keep playing on us. And candid smiles are oh so difficult to capture sometimes. So thank you New York weather, you tried to defeat me and again, I won.

No comments:

Post a Comment